Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Leftorium



I am left handed.

Cack-handedness. Sinister-handedness. Southpaw. Mancinism (the 'condition' of being left handed).

The only left handed person in my family (parents and sisters).

Kaylee... Sam.... Pernell? All righties.

Everything has always been catered towards right handed people. Scissors, potato peelers, all that stuff, made for righties. That is just the way the world revolves. According the the ever so reliable Wikipedia, 10% of the world is left-handed.

We are out numbered. But, look at some of the people that are lefties: Paul McCartney, Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Benjamin Franklin, Picasso, Oprah, Bart Simpson, Count Chocula, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Prince William, Dave Barry, Phil Collins, Judy Garland, Michelangelo, Kermit the Frog, and Leonardo da Vinci, to name a few. Ok, there is a huge list, go look!

I would say that the lefties of the world, past and present, are pretty dang impressive.


When I was learning how to play basketball, the coach in 5th and 6th grade taught me how to shoot and dribble with my right hand because he couldn't teach left hand. In 7th grade, I had an excellent coach who taught me how to do everything with my left hand, which was far more comfortable and it made me a better player (although that isn't saying much LOL!).



I thought I would be forever the solo lefty in a home full of rights. Until...


tonight.


We typically spoon feed her royal highness, but tonight we decided to see how she would do on her own. I gave Clara her plate of dinner and a spoon . The spoon was put into her right hand (bad, me, bad... I digressed... FAIL!!!).


Instantly.... well, see for yourself...





Look at that transcendent left grip on the spoon as she performs a perfect dive and scoop that only a naturally born lefty could perfect!

No longer am I the solo-lefty in a house full of rights. No longer am I the only one in the home that thinks in their right mind.

The plate, food and spoon all ended up thrown on the floor. Really, are we surprised? You saw her birthday video.

VIVA LEFTIES!!!!




2 comments:

Juannaelmi said...

so far Justin is the only left handed one here. I keep looking to see if maybe there is a change, but so far, no.

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO! LEFTY POWER! Welcome to the club Clara! You know what they say: Everyone is born right-handed but only the best overcome it! :-)
Love Helene and Daniel